Brown – James Ketta
6.4 undergrads. 8-1 student faculty. 15% international. No core curriculum, no required courses. Most students at Brown do a range of subjects anyway. 2K courses offered every year. Interdisciplinary v important. Province – being renovated and revived. Residential campus. Demonstrate energy, curiosity and restless drive. 100% taught by faculty.
UPenn – Maxime.
1740. Benjamin Franklin founder – key principles: purposeful learning, academic flexibility, diverse learning community. Largest % of int students in Ivy League. 5Th largest city. Philadelphia. Campus. 12 houses. 4 undergrad schools. $900 million annual research budget. Centre of Undergraduate Research. Service to society.Wharton – work with non-profit start-ups in Philadelphia. Demonstrate energy, curiosity and restless drive. 100% taught by faculty.
Kyo – Stanford
V large campus – biological reserve, lots of resources. You have access to all 7 schools. Academic freedom – trying new things. Quarters – 10 weeks. 4-5 classes per quarter. Interdisciplinary subjects – e.g. symbolic systems (linguistics, computer systems, psychology). Completely diverse group. 45 athletes went to Olympic games – “6th in world”. Economic diversity – 60% first generation students. Demonstrate energy, curiosity and restless drive. 100% taught by faculty.
Wellesley – Milena
Beautiful campus – 12m from Boston. 1 in 4 inhabitants are students. 1000 classes every year. Cross registration with MIT, Babson and Brandeis. Everyday leadership. No graduate students. Research with faculty. 14% international this year. World’s most powerful women’s network. Demonstrate energy, curiosity and restless drive. 100% taught by faculty. Committed to full support if necessary.
Yale – Keith
Sterling Memorial Library. Incredible resources – available, not forbidden to touch the books, use the machines! e.g. 2 x Gutenberg Bibles. 800 labs. Lots of investment has been put in. Unfair proportion of the word’s great scholars. All faculty teacher undergraduates. 1.5 hours to NY. 5.4k undergraduates. Relatively small. Aim is to learn deeply. 1:1 ratio in Engineering. Emphasis is on being a scholar. 12 residential colleges. Oxbridge style presence of academics in each college plus a Master. Access to leading minds, informally. Demonstrate energy, curiosity and restless drive. 100% taught by faculty.
Tips from Elite Unis – Q & A 21st September 2015
– ED or EA for those who feel they can present themselves to best effect now rather than later. Not motivated by having a better chance. No need to re-take tests etc.
– Early evaluation available at Wellesley
– Restrictive EA – non-binding. Restrictive element is that you don’t apply to other private unis EA.
– Best fit is key.
– Top institutions will meet demonstrated need. Aim is to admit the strongest students.
– International students don’t qualify for US aid but institutions will be need-sensitive and seek to help you.
– No merit scholarships
– No preference for ACT, SAT or new SAT – will superscore regardless. Low SAT score students can be admitted, high score SATs can be denied.