IELTS – New Type to Satisfy UK Border Agency

4. New UK VI IELTS test UK VI (visa and immigration) – International students are advised to sit an academic IELTS to be sure they are okay for a visa ( website has all the information).

For Home/EU students with a non UK passport: It varies between universities whether they accept English literature for the IB Diploma instead of IELTS as proof of competency in English – some need English language. English Language GCSE has expired by the time they apply.

Does the border agency need it separately to the university? Universities say no. Some can use the IELTS for the border, but this doesn’t guarantee their entry to the university, who need a certain amount of points. The university issues the CAS (Certificate of Acceptance for Studies) form if the student has satisfied the English requirements as well as any other entrance requirements. Then they can take this to the border agency. Those who are applying for a Tier 4 student visa to a Highly Trusted Sponsor (HTS) University” for undergraduate study, academic IELTS is enough. Otherwise, from 6th April onwards, the new IELTS will be required for which the only test centre in Switzerland is in Geneva.

Some students with non UK/EU passports are asked for IELTS even though they have spoken English all their lives, been in an English speaking programme for years and have the full IB Diploma with Higher level English Literature e.g. Americans, Australians, New Zealanders.

TOEFL is not accepted for the UK visa.