St Michael’s Vermont

St Michaels, Vermont

Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 17.29.16

5.5k per year if graduating from Catholic high school. Over 4 years. Vermont – lots of colleges, Burlington – rural but city advantages, 3 hours from Boston, 8 hours to N York. Internships, intl students, retention 91%, average 60 to 70%.

Entirely residential, Liberal Arts, Sciences, Business, Engineering. JOURNALISM.

College Fair – International School, La Chataigneraie

Several Florimont students andtheir parents visited the annual College Fair last night.  Lots of useful conversations about SATs, studying in Canada (much cheaper if you have French nationality in French-speaking Canada – Montréal, Québec).  

IMG_0014

Remember, the point of a liberal arts education is to educate the mind and heart – not lead directly to a profession.  So if you plan to study Medicine or Law, you do not need to take these subjects as an undergraduate in the US – such vocational education is mainly reserved for Graduate School.

IMG_0016 IMG_0018

Trends in US Applications

Notes from NACAC Conference, 2013

Hotspots, Hooks, Hidden Agendas

Peter van Buskirk (ex Franklin and Marshall)

  • As rankings started (80s), universities started to react – e.g. Student to professor ratio – how improve? Widen the definition of professor! And change your counting of students.
  • Ranking criteria change year-on-year
  • «Reputation» – it’s a beauty contest – institutions rank each other. This counts for 20-25% of the ranking place. Now counsellors are consulted too. Very flawed methodology, but does reflect perceptions.
  • Family anxiety – presume to define the best – creates destination orientation.
  • From the 90s onwards, increased numbers were predicted (due to demographics) – the actual trend was similar, but lower numbers.
  • Replacement populations – international students (1990-2000 – 400 % increase – 100k to 400k kids) ; non-traditional students ; more women.
  • Enrollment model – 8k applications, acceptances 2k, Enrollment 500. Admission officers start with the enrollment figure (a budget figure) – then accept (or admit) 2000. (25 % yield).
  • The pyramid of selectivity – somewhat selective (6/8) – selective (1/2) – highly-selective (1/4) – most highly selective (1/8) At the top universities, everything in your application is important. Lower down the selectivity chain, it depends…
  • ED – 95 % yield. EA – 80 % yield (offers peace of mind, not better chances at the most highly-selective, but can give better chances at less selective (e.g. Chicago). Regular decision – 20 % yield (more selective, higher yields). Weightlist – 75 %. So for colleges, ED, EA and WL are fruitful.
  • January admissions do not show on the statistics – e.g. Low scores – advantageous. Cohort news is reported on the basis of September admits. This is good for universities because they are perceived and recorded as more selective, but they actually have a greater number of students.
  • If a uni increases ED enrollments (with a higher yield), they don’t need to offer as many places and – once again – are perceived as more selective.
  • Universities may seek to convert Regular Decision to Early Decision (so-called ED2) – recuitement during the middle of Terminale.
  • Early Decision – « if we think we might admit this student later, let’s take them now »
  • Applicants – 8k, Accept – 2k, Enrol – 500 – Likely wait list letters 2k. Number os students remaining active on the WL – 500. The universities call the applicants to see who wants to take a place. Maybe 30 or 40 yield from WL of 500. Universities are looking for kids who actually want to go there.
    •   When should an applicant come off the wait list ? June.
    • Finances – FAFSA (federal aid) – will show lower greater family contribution as fewer criteria used, CSS Profile (will show greater family contribution – 70 criteria), Net Price Calculators (meant to help you work out real cost).
    • FAFSA used when the university is in sales-mode. So ask what the actual EFC (expected family contribution) is. Other fees may be added on. Ask what the likely indebtedness is for the student over 4 years.
    • ED can only go forward if all financial questions resolved in terms of affording things.
    • EFC $50k, Student loan $3.5k, Campus Work Study 1.5k, Plus loans – nothing, or 10k or 15k, Grant 30k – 20k – 15k.
    • Response to financial aid reflects the value of the student to the institution.
    • Look at the small print! May be a loan included in « full cost » offer of help!
    • « Preferential packaging » – you need to discuss the offer in detail with the college.
    • Total cost of attendance – you need to work this out from the website and do your research.
    • TCA – room, board, tuition, fees, other expenses.
    • Grant – need-based. Scholarship – based on performance criteria (eg. Athletics, music, GPA)
    • ROI – return on investment. If institution shows interest in you, show interest back !
    • Highly-selective institutions track student interest.
    • ED – check with the institution before you apply about the real potential cost.
    • Super-scoring – institutions look at the best performances in the different systems.
    • Test-optional
    • « Score choice »