|4. New UK VI IELTS test||UK VI (visa and immigration) – International students are advised to sit an academic IELTS to be sure they are okay for a visa (ietls.org website has all the information).
For Home/EU students with a non UK passport: It varies between universities whether they accept English literature for the IB Diploma instead of IELTS as proof of competency in English – some need English language. English Language GCSE has expired by the time they apply.
Does the border agency need it separately to the university? Universities say no. Some can use the IELTS for the border, but this doesn’t guarantee their entry to the university, who need a certain amount of points. The university issues the CAS (Certificate of Acceptance for Studies) form if the student has satisfied the English requirements as well as any other entrance requirements. Then they can take this to the border agency. Those who are applying for a Tier 4 student visa to a “Highly Trusted Sponsor (HTS) University” for undergraduate study, academic IELTS is enough. Otherwise, from 6th April onwards, the new IELTS will be required for which the only test centre in Switzerland is in Geneva.
Some students with non UK/EU passports are asked for IELTS even though they have spoken English all their lives, been in an English speaking programme for years and have the full IB Diploma with Higher level English Literature e.g. Americans, Australians, New Zealanders.
TOEFL is not accepted for the UK visa.
TOEFL Session, NACAC 2013 Conference
- Reading, Listening, 10m break, Speaking, Writing. 30 marks available for each section – total 120.
- Daily calibration, multiple raters for speaking and writing, scoring is separate from the testing site…worldwide responses.
- To take the test, the student must create an online profile – user name and password. Can add universities to send the scores to. View test scores 10 days afterwards…etc
- ID is needed at the test center on test day
- Universities may look at the total score but also section scores depending on their academic programme.
- Brown University – no longer requires TOEFL but highly recommends it. Minimum score of 100 – beyond that, they don’t really look that closely at who got 118 or 105. They accept IELTS however.
- Do Brown superscore the TOEFL ? No.
- Why does Brown like the TOEFL ? (Panetha Ott, Director of Admission, International Recruitment, Brown) Because of the fact that person-to-person adds many other factors. In TOEFL, best scholars involved from around the world.
- Perfect measure ? No – student can have a bad day..Ms Ott has taught TOEFL over the summer and can see how it doesn’t always measure everything.
- Students should learn which sections they need to work on in particular. Most often Reading section.
- Their results are only as good as their intellectual development – e.g. 14-year olds.
- Rebecca Koeller – Dalhousie University, Nova Scotia, Canada – Assistant Registrar, International Admissions.
- They expect 92 upwards…they have compared TOEFL with their European Framework of Languages expectations.
- TOEFL has a Youtube channel – tips on learning English, preparing for the test etc. See http://www.youtube.com/user/TOEFLtv
- 9 for IELTS, 120 for TOEFL. TOEFL allows for better discrimination. Comparison tool on their website.
Northwestern University insisting on TOEFL, despite your
BESPOKE – Paris. ALPHA PREP – US. Jen Koller does a good job, too.
Under 600 SAT, take TOEFL or IELTS. Hard to get a TOEFL test date. $250. Carouge or ICC Centre near Airport.
ACT moving to computer test.
Possible for Florimont to become a closed TOEFL centre. IELTS can be taken in Geneva, we think. It is also cheaper.
All current US applicants need to prepare a résumé, annotated, for June 15th. Also a list of 10 US universities.
Common App prompts are available at https://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/Docs/DownloadForms/2013/EssayAnnouncementFinal.pdf. Look at these, choose 1 that suits you and produce a 1st draft for June 15th.
Your parents need to complete a questionnaire.
George Washington University – needed boys and high scores this year. Cornell rejected some high-level applicants but were generous with some others. Family contacts count less now. Columbia not worth applying to.
University of Penn – ED helps.
NYU – some good acceptances. Liberal Studies in particular. SATs less important.
Chicago good. Boston Uni – liberal studies again is easier. IB 36 plus. Bentley – IB 6 point average, according to the uni. EDs ok. Stern – Business School at NYU. Babson. Bennington. Marist- very accepting – Lynn also. Watch your application doesn’t get lost! Delaware very good – good campus. Hobart a good safety option. Wake Forest – will take a lot ED. They like the internationals.
Lower grades – Bryant, Bishops, Concordia, Elon, Tampa, Wheaton, maybe Amherst, Lynn. American University. Florida Atlantic. Stonehill. Salve Regina. Lake Forest. Nice campus but boring! Great facilities.
Fordham is now harder. Bucknell also accepting. Great place. Kids from Ecol Int love it. North Western hard to get in – Rosey kids love it. Fantastic engineering. Clemson, South Carolina v accepting. North Eastern – harder. Furman – lots of Christians.
Canada – McGill Karen J’Bari – Business harder. Arts and Sciences easier. Business at Toronto harder – choose commerce otherwise you will end up far away! Separate IB document needed.
Here is some information M Lopez passed on to me about summer linguistic camps – please check the website of OISE at http://www.oise.com/.
Madame, Monsieur, chers collègues,
J’ai eu dernièrement un entretien avec des personnes responsables de OISE qui organise des formations linguistiques intensives et individualisées en immersion dans le pays pour des professionnels mais aussi des étudiants et d jeunes élèves.
Oise souhaite vraiment contribuer au brillant avenir de ses élèves et avec une expérience depuis 40 ans elle a le savoir d’organiser du coaching linguistique pendant les vacances scolaires, qui assure un soutien individuel permanent. Les destinations sont multiples, notamment en Angleterre pour les élèves âgés de 7 à 17 ans et au Canada, USA, Espagne et Allemagne pour les élèves âgés de 14 à 17 ans avec maximum de 8 élèves par classe.
Pour les jeunes adultes et les professionnels, l’enseignement relève du « coaching linguistique » avec un Programme Tutorial (privé), un Programme Quatorial (max. 4 élèves) ou un Programme Octorial (max. 8 élèves) avec 31 heures de cours par semaine. OISE est également spécialisée pour les préparations aux différents examens tels que le IELTS, le BULATS, les examens du Cambridge, le ZD ou ZMP pour les examens en allemand.
Je joins à ce mail et en attaché des informations plus précises que vous pourrez transmettre aux personnes intéressées et concernées de votre établissement.
Recevez mes salutations les meilleures
Envoyé par Martine Auvergne, le jeudi 21 mars 2013.